Name:
Location: South Haven, MInnesota, United States

Fisherman, Waterfowler and all around good guy!

Monday, January 09, 2006

Black Jack Pocket Hunting Club

Well, I just got back home from my last Vacation of 2005, even though it happened in 2006. Where do I begin, I left Shoot n' Holler, South Haven, at about 7pm on Tuesday Jan 3rd. Corey had made the trip to Rogers from Gaylord and upon loading the dodge van we headed off to Edina and the Big Smitty residence. We arrived there at 8 something, loading quickly and headed toward, Menominee Wisconnie, to meet the last member of our party Toby Schoepke. We beat Toby to the Green Mill, beer and tea flowed and Spike got behind the wheel and 8-9 hours later, we were in Salem Ill. I turned the keys over to Roger and he drove us to Pahduka KY. Oops, I forgot a trip highlight. Our traveling band of waterfowl warriors ran amuck of a gaggle of teenage hussies at the Beloit WS, fuel stop. Big Al Hoppe's words of wonder came to me, as I watched with amazement the fine sight before my eyes. "The world is full of sluts and I can't find even one!" Well Al, they are in Beloit, WS. Hanging out at the Gas Stop/Taco Bell. :>)
AAA Trip Tix routed us through rural KY and western TN, on what was not much more than a cattle trail. But the true South experience was all around us! Front Porch sittin! Hound Dog Pettin' Tobacco dryin' Americana and we were smack dab in the middle of it. Corey was drooling in his slumber as he dreamed about deep fried okra, and biskets and gravy! Soon we were in Lassiter Corner TN, which I guess you could call a suburb of Horn Beak. I found a gas station in Lassiters Corner that sold Coca-cola in Glass Bottles! Awesome!!!!! We were just minutes from our destination of Black Jack Pocket Hunting Lodge. But we were way early! It was before noon and check in was not untill 4pm so off to the local BBQ Joint "Boyettes" for a couple of Bud Lites and then a sight seeing trip around Reelfoot Lake. Smitty at the wheel! We went to the State Park Observatory and of course promptly lost a tire to a blowout! 2 cars stopped to ask if they could help, Southern hospitality! The donut on, we drove into Tiptonville to the tire shop. Alas, no tire for us. I was dropped of at the lodge to wait for the guides and the rest of the merry band went off into the Tennesee evening in search of a tire or two. Little did I know that the guides would arrive just minutes later to show me our rooms and give me a tour of the place. It was great. 5 bedrooms, 3 baths, full kitchen, washer & Dryer, deck complete with grills and all only 20' from the Lake! As I stood on the deck/dock I watched Mallard after Mallard land right next to me. Just breezing through the cedars. Man, I was ready!
Now, where was the rest of our merry band? Well, they found a tire place just down the road where Roger set to haggle the owner for a "Price" on a couple of radials. The guy tells the great haggler to go to his truck and get his bottle out of the door panel and let them sit down to a good "Haggle"!! Well our fearless leader got his price after a couple of chugs, although he ended up buying 4 tires instead of 2! Not sure who haggled who!
Lakeview Eatery, all you can eat Catfish, pinto beans, cole slaw, onion rings, fries, biskets, country ham, hush puppies a big picture of Ice Tea for me and beers for the rest. Except of course for Corey. One thing I remember most was me trying to stay awake and watch the whole USC vs. Texas Championship BCS Game. I made it to 6 minutes to play with Texas down by 12. Only to wake up the next morning and tell everyone that USC won the Game. Only to turn on ESPN and find out about Texas's stunning comeback victory!! Damn!!
Tomorrow the Hunt!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home