Name:
Location: South Haven, MInnesota, United States

Fisherman, Waterfowler and all around good guy!

Friday, September 21, 2007


Our Oyster shucker at Sunnyside Oyster Bar


Right- My sister Michelle and an oyster about to meet it's end!
Interesting Eats In North Carolina




Ok, in my last blog in talked about my new favorite Steak House. Now, I will tell you about a place that has been schucking oysters since 1932. One of the oldest oyster houses in America today. It is called the Sunnyside Oyster Bar and it is located in Williamston, North Carolina. The Street address is 1102 Washington St. Williamston, NC 27892 #252-792-3416


This little bar and Oyster house is extraordinary in it's simplicity. It consists of a Bar in the main "Big House" which is complete with large screen TV to enjoy the weekends games as well as your favorite adult beverage. The back room is where the magic happens. The walls are white and sea scape photo's and art decorate the walls. The room is highlighted by the centerpiece oyster bar which is a rectangular bar, lined with wooden bar chairs. The waiter is your well.....your waiter, shucker and entertainer.


We placed our beverage order, (UN-sweet tea for me) and after the tea arrived the waiter asked us what we would like for dinner. I had seen no menu or prices, I scanned the wall for a hint of what was available and saw no clues so I looked to my sister for help. Without hesitation Michelle said "Peck of Oysters please" Corkey said "half pound of shrimp and a half pound of scallops" The waiter then look at me. I ordered a pound of shrimp. The waiter left and returned with 2 teapots that he took off of a hotplate in the corner. He set out a couple of small serving bowls in front of each of us and poured from the teapots hot butter :) and hot cocktail sauce! Within a few seconds the food arrived. The pound of shrimp came in a larger serving bowl as did Corkey's scallops and shrimp. The oysters came in a big ass roaster pail and our waiter/shucker poured them into the lower bar level and began opening up the perfectly cooked oysters. We were given crackers and Texas Pete hot sauce and another small bowl of horseradish to accompany the meal. Simple and tasty as all hell. In their literature and on the internet there was much mention about their special cocktail sauce. I guess I did not see it, it was to me a bit bland, but with the horseradish added to it, we pepped it up a bit and man did Michelle and I proceed to pound down the oysters!!! I soon ordered a half pound of scallops and Michelle ordered another half a peck of oysters and when it all was over they almost had to get a cart in there to wheel us out. Faces and chins dripping butter and sauce, fingers licked clean. We waddled out to the car and let Corkey drive us back to Tarboro.


I never did learn of the prices as Corkey paid the tab. I believe that the total was $60 something. The place is only open from September to April (oyster season) and there was not to many people there as it was just newly reopened for the season and it was a Monday night. I do know however that it is a popular spot as the couple across the bar from us drove 3 hours to eat at the Sunnyside! I place this high on my list of Oyster bars for its down home charm and portions of food which were substantial. If you find yourself on the Greenville, NC area be sure to stop in and have a Peck!

I almost forgot about the Red Hot . As you near the end of your oyster order, our waiter asked us if we wanted to partake in a Sunnyside tradition called the Red Hot? After some discussion Michelle and I agreed to try one. As near as I can figure, it is as follows. A square of salted cracker, 2 small jalapeno peppers with an oyster placed on top, then a generous spoonful of horseradish on top of the oyster and a through coating of Texas Pete's Hot sauce topping off the whole thing. Yeah Baby!!! Bring on the Iced Tea or Beer! One was enough!

Always,


Spike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home