Name:
Location: South Haven, MInnesota, United States

Fisherman, Waterfowler and all around good guy!

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

If Your Ever In Central North Carolina

Recently while visiting my sister, Michelle in Tarboro NC. I had the opportunity to take in a couple of unique establishments offering damn fine dining. The first that I will tell you about is The Beefmastor Inn 2656 US Highway 301 Wilson NC 27893 #252-237-7343 No reservations available. This place is incredible! A steakhouse of distinction. Worth a special trip from the Raleigh area without a doubt. First of all as we arrived at 5:10 pm (it opens at 5) the parking lot was full. I noticed the people in the truck next to me open their tailgate a sit down on it and chug a beer! I soon learned the 411. This place takes no reservations so it's first come first served. Upon arriving you enter the small brick and white shuttered building looking much like a small rambler style home. You give them your name and order a brew or wine cooler and retreat out to your vehicle. If it's hot (Usually is) then you start your car or truck turn on the air and proceed to drink up! Go in and pick up another and start over again until a guy sticks his head out the door and yells your name. YAHOO!! Now the fun really starts. You enter the building and you find yourself already in the dining area. There are 10 tables, red and white tablecloths equipped with your silverware and basic seasonings. The waiter appears and takes your beverage order immediately. I as usual had a un-sweet tea. As Michelle and I took a swig of our tea a guy shows up at the table carrying a huge chunk of Prime Ribeye and sets it upon the table and says "we start out at 8 ounces and move the knife until you say when! Michelle stops at the 8 ounce Ribeye while I let the knife mosey on down the chunk of beef till I feel it has reached the portion needed to satisfy a steak eating legend as myself. (Yeah Baby!) The waiter says help yourself to the salad bar and we will bring your meal when it has reached your specified state of perfection (Medium Rare for me) The Salad bar while small in over all length was filled constantly with fresh fixings. I made myself a grand salad with just the selections that I wanted on it! It was so good that I went back and made another trying to out do the first in taste and appearance. Tossed in a couple of peppercini's to waken the taste buds and retired to the table. Just as I pulled the last of the pepper off of the stem my dinner arrived. A beautiful Prime Ribeye juicy and perfect, a huge baked potato and a grill toasted piece of Texas toast. a half a stick of BUTTER!!! and a bowl of Sour Cream. No steak sauce needed as the steak was second to none! Ruth Chris, Murray's, Morton's you name it.
This was one of the most interesting dining experiences I have had in a long time. Here are a couple of reasons why, NO Women Waitress's, only men cooking serving and cleaning. Now I am not sexist and usually enjoy having a lovely young lady bringing me my order, but in this steak wonderland this setup just felt right. NO Menu!!! Drinks, Salad, Steak, Spud and Toast. That's it! No fish, No chicken, No ribs, JUST GIANT RIBEYES!!!!! Throw in the tailgating atmosphere in the parking lot while waiting to enter and you have the Beefmastor Inn.
Take the trip if your in the area and maybe even if your not and have some time to kill.
Next time I will tell you about the Sunnyside Oyster Bar in Williamston NC!
Stay Tuned!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

Thanks for the information. Enjoyed reading your commentary. My husband, a pharmacist, was assigned to work at the hospital in Williamston over the weekend. We found a good steak behind our hotel - Ribeye was the name of the restaurant. Best steak I ever had. Perhaps the have the same supplier?

2:37 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Thanks for the information. Enjoyed reading your commentary. My husband, a pharmacist, was assigned to work at the hospital in Williamston over the weekend. We found a good steak behind our hotel - Ribeye was the name of the restaurant. Best steak I ever had. Perhaps the have the same supplier?

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home