Name:
Location: South Haven, MInnesota, United States

Fisherman, Waterfowler and all around good guy!

Thursday, September 15, 2005

"THE RIDE"
Lets see, where do I start? 7:00 am Humphery terminal, Sun Country Jet, Row 1, seat C, FIRST CLASS! Leg Room! Ass Room! Hot Towels! Real Breakfast! Pounding down screwdrivers as the flight attendant gave us the preflight speech. Getting Cut off of screwdrivers around Calgary. I thought she liked me because every time I looked up she was checking me out. If it wasn't the fact that it ws me, I would have sworn.... but, now I realize that she was wondering, how a hopeless loser like me was in first class, sitting next to the guy who looked like a preist with the DVD player tuned to the Matt Damond flick! Cut Me Off! Dumb Ass! Obviously she did not know with whom she was dealing with, Hell, I'm the Founder of Bemidji's Drink like a Fish Night! She was even more shocked when Smitty answered all their Crossword Puzzle problems, and then they tried testing us by playing sports trivia with the first class passengers. Who was the original Senior Smoke? "Why Arealio Lopez" Spike shot at her. "and you'll have to do better than that" smugly she eyed me up and asked " What team did Billy Waddy play for?"
"LA Rams early to mid 70's" "Wide Receiver" Stunned silence in the in the cabin.
"OK smart guy" "Who was the Quarterback that threw to him?" she asked with her eyebrow raised. No longer so smug.
"First or last, with the Rams" Spike asked.
"Last" she said, now with her eyes averted to the floor
"John Hadle" Spike said quietly, not wanting to rub it in.
"Fast White boy that Billy Waddy was I recall" said Spike, to no one in particular.
"Not anymore" said the flight attendant "He's my husband, and now days he's quite slow"
"What were you drinking? Screwdrivers, Right?"
Anchorage here I come!!!!!
2 hours later
Penn Air, Bratwurst with wings, winging our way to Dillingham. Looks the same. The Aleknagik road is now paved? The lake now has an access? 12 years is a long time. WOW, I'm old. Sunny boat ride across the lake. The lodge comes into view, Plane hanger, Boathouse Gazobo Bar, New Cabin, Lager Rainbow Cabin, Screen Porch. I toss my gear in Humpy/Dolly cabin, I'm Back. I am Back! I look at the walls, signed by the many guides who had been there. I remember signing long ago, but can't find the spot. My eyes do however quickly spot and old friends signature and his immortal words of wisdom. "My advise to you, is to drink heavily." So true Mr. Struif, so true.
More to come, Stay tuned......
I have a question for you all, what do you do when you find out that being the best you can be, is not good enough?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home