Name:
Location: South Haven, MInnesota, United States

Fisherman, Waterfowler and all around good guy!

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Sept.13th 2005
"LUCKY"
Well, It's come and gone. Like a false spring sunset, or a really, really good drink, you anticipate it, savour it and wish it would last forever then with that last red glow in the western sky it's gone, ice cubes in a glass. Only the memories remain. Thank God for the memories.
I had not been back to Alaska, since I flew out on the freedom beaver back in 1993. Twelve long life experienceing years. Honestly, every spring you think about it, even if it's just a minute or two. Life goes on for the most part, you experience new great things, you take up new past-times, maybe get married, maybe divorced, maybe live in a box, but you still think about it. Wether you remember the Surging raw power of a Nushagak King, or the roar of the Beaver at take off, or maybe it's the sipping, slurping of a Rainbow taking a dry fly on the "Pak" or the "Wok" It may be the colors of a spawned out chum, barely alive yet protecting those precious eggs until he death takes him. For many, myself included is the acrobatic antics of the magnificent "Silver". Finning and rolling their way up the Togiak, Alaska takes a hold of you and just does not let you go. Ever. I have just returned from the "big land" a trip for the storybooks, followed by a special weekend of quiet relaxation and wonderful company. Some do not understand when they see me why many, as well as I, call myself "Lucky" But if you had been with me these last couple of weeks, there would be no doubt that my life is certanly blessed. Blessed with Great Friends, Great Family, and Lots of Luck. Three Years ago on September 4, 2002, I was laying in a Cleveland, Ohio Operating room with a small and very talented man cutting my chest open with a shiny circular saw. I still remember when they told me what they were going to do, and how I told them to, Get Bent! (clean version) I also remember Mom telling me to believe in their skill and have faith. Let me tell you I was ready to walk. Glad I stayed. Without some help I may not have been able to have this last cool big trip, which will hopefully turn into another, and then another. There I was 3 years to the day, sitting on the Togiak, with one my my best pals, catching silver after silver, sitting in the all day in bone drenching rain, wearing socks B, and jockey A (we will get into that on another day) (soon) Taking time to sip a mug's rootbeer and nibble on a snickerdoodle. Boy life can be good. Thanks, Steve. and all the BBL crew. Thanks, Brad and Karla, Rebecca and Austin and Diva and Laura, and all theTRFA homies. Thanks Steve and Josh and the Pursuit. Thanks Missy and Michelle. Thanks Smitty, man was that great or what. and of course Thanks Buttercup, you are really something!
I gotta go. I have to pack some fish in my freezer before it thaws and of course the Halibut arrives tomorrow!
More Soon!
Say tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home