Name:
Location: South Haven, MInnesota, United States

Fisherman, Waterfowler and all around good guy!

Monday, July 21, 2008


STORY #4


The Real "Deadliest Catch!"



They never talk about this aspect of ocean fishing on the now famous Discovery Channel series. This story is from a trip taken quite a few years ago, down to Florida. It centers around 4, no 5 characters. Roger, my long time pal, Tom Smith, My little sister, Michelle, Myself and an unknown fellow angler, with unfortunate timing, aboard a fishing boat, based out of Mayport, Florida.

During a vacation down to Florida to visit my folks, who were at the time living down in Bushnell, Florida. Smitty, Roger and I drove north to Jacksonville to see my sister Michelle. We hung out at The Landing, a Jacksonville hot spot, (Hooters) and saw all the sights that the city had to offer. We decided, as we often do, to try our hand at deep sea fishing. So we called around and found a fishing fleet in Mayport, right near the Naval Base, that offered full ,and half day "Party" boat fishing trips. We decided to give it a try, and set up reservations for the next day.

The next morning found our party of 4 (Michelle decided to come along) heading to the coast. We arrived at our destination and found the bait shop that played host to the fleet of vessels preparing for the day. We paid our fee, grabbed our cooler full of snacks and beer and pop and went straight to our chosen boat.

Once on the boat we met the captain and first mate, (Orlando) we became good friends with Orlando during the day as Smitty was snagged up on the bottom nearly constantly and required Orlando's help in getting unsnagged or retied! Now I wanted to mention at this time that it was about 6 am when we got on the boat so it was early, way to early for me but since I was going fishing, I guess it was ok.

It was a beautiful morning, not to hot, not to cold. In the harbor there was no wind, all was well. As we cruised out the inter coastal, towards the ocean, we went right past the USS Saratoga. The first Aircraft Carrier I had ever seen. Roger was in his glory, he talked about his navy days, and what he did aboard his ship, the USS Canberra, a cruiser. He talked about his friends and how they caught sharks with a winch, for fun and for food, aboard ship. It was actually pretty interesting, as he rarely talked about it to us kids, (Michelle and I) Once out to sea we headed east for a pretty long while. At least a couple of hours. Now the boat we were on was about 45' long I would guess. Maybe a little bigger, and held about 35 anglers on this day. I think that it cost about $30 for the days fishing. After awhile we stopped, dropped anchor and baited up. We dropped our baits down into the depths and waited for the fun to begin. Fishing was slow at first and we occasionally moved around from spot to spot, but finally we started to connect with some regularity. Michelle had the hot hand and was busy reeling in grouper, sea bass and red snapper. Smitty, I remember caught a small shark, and some weird looking fish with tentacle looking things hanging off it. We caught Puffer fish, which were pretty cool and some really ugly thing, that Orlando called a Scorpion. He would not even touch it, just cut the line and let it drop back into the water. You should have heard him yell at us NOT to bring it on deck! I even caught a Moray eel.

As we were fishing, the heat started to become an issue. It was Africa HOT! A breeze started to "Freshen" which was at first welcome, as it cooled us down a bit. It also pushed the smell of Hot Bait away from us which was really welcome. It was a very good time, the fishing was fair to good, and the cooler full of food and drink was slowly being emptied. The boat even had a galley where you could get some really good greasy burgers and fries, which Roger was drawn to like a bear to honey! After a 3 or 4 burgers Roger was quite content.

The wind continued to build. Notice that I said "wind" not breeze! The boat was starting to rock and while not really prone to seasickness, I will admit here that with the smell of hot, rotting squid and herring (bait) The stifling heat and the constant rocking of the waves. I was not really feeling all that great, but trooper I am I toughed it out. (Like there was anywhere I could go!) One by one a few of the hardy anglers were starting to hit the rail to relieve themselves of their stomach contents! By this time even I was barely hanging on. I even tried to take a nap in whatever shade I could find on deck.

With all of the rocking and the heat as well as all of the beer and food we ate and drank the night before, add on the 4 greasy burgers and fries that Roger had ate while on board, Roger finally had to hit the "Head" (Sailor term for shitter) Now, since he is gone, I can say without fear of reprisals that my dad, Roger was a champion "Head" user.

After awhile dad made his way back up on deck, beer in hand. We were all gathered up together fishing and talking at the rail when all of a sudden a fellow angler came rushing up the steps from below, hands to his mouth, panic in his eyes! Cheeks bulging, just as he reached the rail, WHOOSH! He blew chunks! I mean he lost it all. I think everything he had ate during the past week went. It was epic retching. People came from the other side of the boat to witness the spectacle. To this day I have never seen a poor soul in that much agony or in such a hurry to lose his lunch! I was an awful thing to see. Especially when I wasn't feeling all that great!

After a while the poor guy just hung there on the rail, to weak from his ordeal to move, finally he stood upright, looked at us and his friends who had come over to check on him. They toweled him off and gave him water. Poured some cool water on his head and patted him on the back, the universal signal that "your going to be alright."

He started to explain, "I thought that I was going to make it, I really did, I was feeling better, really, I was! But then I went down to the "Head" to take a leak and I don't know who was in there just before me but, OH MY GOD!!! As soon as I shut the door and the smell hit me, there was no way I could hold it all in!!!" His pals all chuckled and shook their heads and slowly walked him back to his fishing spot.

Of course we all glanced at Roger with a knowing look. Then we all laughed.

On the way back, I spotted the guy, head down, feeling the spray from the waves. Trying to get refreshed from the sea.

Another innocent, devastated by a dose of Roger.


PS: Michelle did end up out fishing us, although her cries of "My arms are weak!" grew a little tiresome. We all had a great fish fry back at home. I will always remember our trips out on the "Dinger Boat" as dad called it. I bet there is another guy who will remember it too!
Have a great night!
Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home